Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

This year, I have a new understanding of what it means to be thankful.

I saw it in the smile of a 2-year-old orphan who is beyond grateful for a sticker.
I saw it in the eyes of a patient dying of AIDS who just needed someone to talk to.
I saw it in the welcoming arms of every Zambian I met.
I saw it in the families who had to wear the same clothes every day but were happy they had any clothes at all.
I saw it in the lives of the nuns at the hospice/orphanage who dedicate every day to their patients.
I saw it in the people who received a simple bag of maize but knew it would feed their family at least for the next week.

I saw thankfulness in a completely different way while I was in Africa. I was hit in the face, not with a comparison of what I have that they don't, but with a realization that I have SO much to be thankful for in my life. Not just for things like clothes and food but for my family and friends - all of the things that I now know what it really means to take for granted. And rarely do I have show half of the thankful heart that I saw in those lives in Africa.

That's my thought of the day. :) 

Well, I'm back in America. Really happy to be home but also left little pieces of my heart with people there. To be expected, I guess. We spent our last few days in Livingston on a safari and at Victoria Falls. Here are a few pictures from the end of our trip.


Rachel and I in front of the Falls


We got the closest to the giraffes on our safari


Holding a baby crocodile!


Haley, Rach and I at the lake for dinner - I'm so grateful for these girls!


Thank you all so much for following my blog, my adventures, and my life a little bit while I was away from home! I really appreciated all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment